Re: WG Review: Distributed Mobility Management (dmm)

2014-10-07 04:14:27

Hi,

Thank you for the review. See my initial comments inline.

10/7/2014 8:50 AM, Abdussalam Baryun kirjoitti:
Dear IESG,

I received you message request for review, but there are some issues
missing for my review. For example there is no milestones presented even
though the submitted charter states below

  "The working group may decide to extend the current milestones based on
the new information and knowledge gained during working on other
documents listed in the initial milestones. "

When we submitted the re-charter text we were given an advice to leave them out - for some reason. Anyway, these were the milestones at the time of finishing the text in the WG:

  Feb 2015 - Submit 'Enhanced mobility anchoring' as a working group
             document. To be Proposed Standard.

  Feb 2015 - Submit 'Forwarding path and signaling management' as a
             working group document. To be Proposed Standard.

  May 2015 - Submit 'Exposing mobility state to mobile nodes and network
             nodes' as a working group document(s). To be Proposed
             Standard.

  Nov 2015 - Submit 'Enhanced mobility anchoring' submitted to the IESG.
             To be Proposed Standard.

  Nov 2015 - Submit 'Forwarding path and signaling management' submitted
             to the IESG.  To be Proposed Standard.

  Feb 2016 - Submit 'Exposing mobility state to mobile nodes and network
             nodes' submitted to the IESG. To be Proposed Standard.

They are probably as of now, too aggressive time wise.

Where are the initial milestone, the above statement refers to? did this
WG decide on the milestones or not? When I review the WG production
there is only one RFC and one adopted draft, while previous charters

WG has completed its work on the previous charter items. The last I-D is already past IETF LC and hopefully entering IESG telechat agenda any time soon.

were aiming for more drafts. In first charter dated 2007 there were
about three work items/drafts suggested without milestones which is ok
because it is new but what happened? I want to know why we did not
achieve that? an input from the AD can help.

See above.

- JOuni

Creating/Rechartering WGs while not having clear milestones will cost
IETF. I need to see in your review request of charter/recharter the
following so that I can make better review:

- if new WG, there can be no milestones decided, but need to have some
individual drafts submitted for discussions and for future adoption plans.
- if new WG, there should be in the charter related works/RFCs in IETF
that this WG will consider.
- if recharter WG, I need to know its evaluation of previous charter(s),
and why recharter?
- if recharter WG, I need to know clear milestones (dates of submissions
and date of conclude) and clear/stated adopted drafts and non adopted
drafts that are under consideration.
- All WG charters MUST have a date of conclude/recharter, otherwise we
may waste time/space/money in IETF.
- I prefer if the IETF charter has sections that are must and sections
that are optional, so that we agree on how we review such charter. I
think milestones are must for recharters and optional for new WG charter.
- I require for my best review for recharter, a review AD evaluation
section for the WG's previous charter(s) and challenges.

Please note we need to take care with the charter details,
the WG-decisions and then recharter review. Therefore, I object this WG
to recharter until its WG decides the milestones and have clear work
adoption plan related to drafts mentioned in the charter.

Regards,

AB