Re: Thoughts triggered by "Proposed IESG structure change"

2014-10-14 13:38:32
On 10/14/2014 08:11 PM, Larry Masinter wrote:
Perhaps it's just me, but I think a more web-focused Apps AD taking on some of
the divergence between IETF and WHATWG/W3C would be helpful.

MIME sniffing
In general MIME use in web
Origin
URL/URI/IRI/URN/IDNA
Encodings

Are areas where interfaces between web and non-web suffer.  Rather than asking
Nomcom to hold off on nominating, I'd ask Nomcom to focus on cluefulness on the
topics.

The line between 'web' and 'non-web' is shifting, and more leadership in
coordination from within IETF would be helpful.

(IMHO of course)

My personal opinion about the W3C and the IETF is that the separation (both in terms of their procedures and in terms of the disparity of who-works-where) is harmful at this point in time.

Fixing that issue would, I think, require much faster movement than we, as a (self)consultative body, seem to be able to apply - so I haven't tried to suggest solutions to that problem.

I don't see how we can get there from here.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net