RE: Gen-ART LC review of draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis

2014-10-23 09:56:32
Barry,

I am OK with your reasoning

Roni

From: barryleiba(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com [mailto:barryleiba(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
On Behalf Of Barry
Leiba
Sent: 23 October, 2014 5:18 PM
To: Roni Even
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis(_dot_)all(_at_)tools(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org;
gen-art(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Gen-ART LC review of draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis

I think that this is a point that should be made for anyone that needs to
specify the registration policy. My feeling is that when the document is
develop the focus is on the specified registry without looking at similar
ones. Maybe the document should suggest that the IESG or document shepherd
will try to verify that consistency was checked.

I'm very wary of suggesting that people copy registration policies from one
registry to another.  Mindless consistency between related registries in
specifically a non-goal here: the important point is that the policy for
each registry should be selected with though, and should apply to the needs
of *that* registry, even if that makes related registries differ.  I think
the document is clear about that.

We get ourselves in trouble when a batch of registries are all given the
same policy, and that policy turns out to be right for some and wrong for
others.

Barry