ISOC@IETF 91 Briefing Panel

2014-10-27 11:12:17

We are pleased to announce the Internet Society Briefing Panel at IETF 91:

----------
SESSION ABSTRACT

Is Identity an Internet Building Block?

In the Internet's early days, users often felt shielded behind an
electronic veil of anonymity, able to take on any persona they pleased.
Now, nearly every online service has adopted technologies that build user
profiles, offer product recommendations, and piece together personal
histories that go back farther than most of us even know.

Digital identifiers and the attributes tied to those identifiers are key
to establishing trust in any form of online communication. What are the
underlying identifiers we use on the Internet today? What are their
properties? How do these identifiers and attributes relate to our ideas of
"identity?" If we were to dream of an ideal world with multiple
interlinked and interoperable identity ecosystems, what would good look
like?

During this Briefing Panel, the Internet Society's Chief Internet
Technology Officer Olaf Kolkman and four panelists from various layers of
the stack will discuss whether identity management is, or will be, a
fundamental building block for the Internet, the forces currently at play
in the identity sphere, the push for single sign-on, the role of mobile,
and more.

Moderator: Olaf Kolkman, Internet Society

Panel:
Leif Johansson, SUNET
Ken Klingenstein, Internet2
Jef Hodges, PayPal