Re: Last Call Comment draft-ietf-l3vpn-end-system-04.txt

2014-11-25 12:29:14
Hi, Adrian -

Of course it's possible that I'm wrong - in fact, it would be great if that turns out to be the case. But my suspicion is that it will take material updates (not just editorial) to fix at least one of the issues that I described in my review. And, in-line with some of the feedback that I heard during the plenary at IETF-91, I am biased toward having WGs review material changes, etc.

Here are my views of the severity of changes for each of the three topics that I raised:

Simple: I agree that it should be relatively straight-forward to fix the namespace issue. While I'm not intimately familiar with it, I think that RFC 3688 describes how the appropriate namespace can be assigned. I'm comfortable describing this as editorial rather than material.

Somewhat more material: It may also be straight-forward to fix the VXLAN encapsulation issue, either by removing the VXLAN option from the schema, or by making reference to another document that describes the procedure. I can imagine at least a couple ways that such encapsulation might be done. However I'm not aware of the existence of such a document, which means it probably needs to be developed. And it seems to me that the 'label' element in the end-system schema might be inadequate information for such an encapsulation procedure.

Probably very material: The draft really needs some kind of text around the various issues I included in the "Second" issue paragraph, in my previous message. Specifically, there needs to be some text about assignment of route-server JIDs. This should include some explanation about how route-server JIDs relate to the redundancy scheme that's sketched out in the draft. This should also include some kind of error handling discussion around incorrect JIDs being used in messages, etc. Much of the preceding also applies to pubsub 'node' values, with an emphasis on the error handling issues. It is possible that the authors have an editorial solution to this, which would avoid material changes to the draft text, but my limited imagination can't picture what that might look like.

As I said above, I would be happy to be wrong about the severity of these changes. But my suspicion is that they are somewhat material additions / changes to the draft text.

Cheers,
-Benson

November 25, 2014 at 3:00 AM

Hi Benson,

Thanks for reviewing and commenting. I'm sure the authors will address your points.

I'd just like to pick up on the last one...

> Otherwise, I'm not sure that this draft is ready for Proposed Standard

> publication. I suspect that it may need further review and development

> in BESS.

The draft went through WG process in L3VPN and was subject to WG last call. There is nothing intrinsically different between processing in BESS and processing in L3VPN.

So I read you as saying that the three points you have raised are evidence that more review and development are needed. But it seems to me that the three points you have raised are relatively small and easily addressed (perhaps I will be proven wrong) so can you clarify why you think this work should be sent back to the working group.

Thanks,

Adrian