RE: Blog: YANG Really Takes Off in the Industry

2014-12-08 11:30:52
Hi Benoit, All,

to be able to reduce the necessary amount reviews and publications, I assume we
need to define some categories:

- YANG models might be interesting to have but they don't need to be
standardized in many cases. So, the category for Standard track RFC has to be
defined with a clear criteria.
- Others may be Informational or Experimental. However for these we need to see
the relevance to IETF work and necessity for publication.

The other categorization could be concerning the dispatching of YANG models
within IETF:

- There are particularly important YANG models related to a specific WG. They
should be developed in that WG.
- There might be others which are still important to publish but don't have any
home. I would discuss them in an OPSAWG meeting and decide whether it should be
published in OPSAWG or NETMOD WG
.
The other category I see is related to YANG models which should be matched to
another SDO. If we think a model is e.g. related to IEEE or MEF, they should be
done there and not at IETF.

There might be also other YANG models which are interesting but not related to
IETF. One particular category is concerning models, which were originally
Enterprise models but people would like to have an IETF publication.

In general, over time we might need to be strict to stick to the categories and
the matched process per category.

That said, I would like to suggest to use the resources of the YANG doctor team
for models, which are essential for the IETF at the first place, especially
those seen under the category Standard track RFC.

Cheers,
Mehmet