Re: New Non-WG Mailing List: unbearable

2014-12-09 11:37:36
On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 02:49:41PM -0500, John C Klensin wrote:
As a member of or sympathizer with various societies for bear
encouragement and preservation (black, brown, polar, Cub Scouts,
Teddy, Pooh, ... in no particular order), I find this name
really objectionable.  From the description, "unbearerable"
might have been better, "betterbearer" certainly would have been.

If the outcome is intended to be proof-of-possession extensions that
render bearer token schemes no-longer-bearer... then "unbearable" seems
better than "betterbearer", though I agree with you that "unbearable"
comes across as potentially insulting.  Maybe we should all be thick-
skinned[*] enough to get the joke and move on, but:

I wonder if anyone has ever appealed a mailing list name.

The risk here is that key participants might simply... ignore it until
it's too late.  I think the AD can probably do some promotion to try to
avoid such an outcome.

Nico

[*] If there is such a medical problem as having thin skin, note that
    this is just a manner of speaking; no offense meant.