Re: Android and IPv6 was [Last Call: RFC 6346 successful: moving to Proposed Standard]

2014-12-14 16:18:25

George, Wes <wesley(_dot_)george(_at_)twcable(_dot_)com> wrote:

    >>> Since Android 4.0 supported IPv6 ...

    > Please clarify:

    > Won't get an IPv6 address when placed on a proper IPv6-capable wifi
    > segment that does SLAAC, or won't do IPv6 over mobile, or you simply
    > haven't seen anything that proves it's doing those things? Note that in

Android 4.0 does not believe it has network if it has only IPv6.
(This is sadly, not fixed in 4.4; there are some structural hassles to
testing it for many, thus hard to know if you succeded)

Android 4.0 certainly does work DualStack.

This is a result of not accepting DNS servers via RDNSS (nor DHCPv6), and
believing that it can not operate without DNS (which is probably logical).

    > supporting it pretty well.  There's an app called Network Info II that
    > will help with this.  The reason I ask is that the former is broken
    > Android, whether intentionally or not. The latter is mobile provider
    > dependent, and it makes a difference when asserting "I bought something
    > for sale today that doesn't support IPv6".

Whether Android works or not on IPv6-only over 3G, I can not speculate, as
sadly, I
haven't got any way to test that.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=32630

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-