Re: PKCS#11 URI slot attributes & last call

2014-12-17 17:56:37
On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 03:52:50PM -0800, Jan Pechanec wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2014, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
I don't follow how the above require the slots to be known in order to
figure where the object is. In gnutls we handle all of these use cases,
and we don't need to know the slot at all. First you iterate all slots
searching for the object, and then you login and search again. How would
knowing the slot would have helped that?

      hi Nikos, if I expect a token to be inserted with some key
(rather then identifying the key to use) then specifying the slot
where such token is to be found seems useful to me.  If I understand
it correctly, that's how pam_pkcs11 works.  It has two configuration
options for this - slot description and slot ID.

That only works with a PKCS#11 implementation like Solaris' libpkcs11.

In general PKCS#11 slot IDs are unreliable, and that's why Nikos
objects.

      I know that the slot ID is cryptoki module specific.  It would
have been nice if the specification supported token serial number as
it does for tokens.

It needn't be stable even for one module.

      the updated text would have to provide information about
general unreliability using the slot ID, for example.

Please post proposed new text.  Time is running out.

Nico