Re: Gen-ART and OPS-Dir review of draft-ietf-httpauth-hoba-07

2014-12-26 17:41:04

Hi David,

Again thanks for the follow up...

On 24/12/14 18:40, Black, David wrote:
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the response and initial updates - anything that I don't comment
on further is fine, and everything in this response should now be reduced to
requests for minor additional text changes:

[2] Challenge verification and reuse

This sentence on p.6 strikes me as subtly dangerous:

   The challenge however is sent over
   the network so as to make it simpler for a server to be stateless.
   (One form of stateless challenge might be a ciphertext that the
   server decrypts and checks, but that is an implementation detail.)

The draft elsewhere asserts or assumes that challenge reuse can be
prevented by the server or be time-bounded by max-age, and relies on
those reuse limits for security properties,

[... snip ...]

Hmm. I think that HOBA ought not REQUIRE full replay protection
in all cases, that is, it SHOULD be possible to deploy a server
that is vulnerable to some replay. The reason is that we're trying
to displace passwords here and I believe (without much hard evidence
I'll grant you) that we'd lose some deployment chances if we were
to insist on every single challenge being fresh.

So I'd argue for no-change here, but would welcome further discussion
evidence or suggestions for text that's not going to be so onerous
as to weaken our chances of getting this deployed.

The word "stateless" is bothering me,

That's HTTP for ya:-)

as doing a good job of replay
prevention usually requires saving state to remember what has already
been seen.  The following change would address this concern:

OLD
   The challenge however is sent over
   the network so as to make it simpler for a server to be stateless.
NEW
   The challenge however is sent over
   the network so as to reduce the amount of state that needs to be
   maintained by servers.

I don't see a useful difference, but I can buy that your wording
is maybe better so I've made that change.

The rest of the text on replay, including allowing some replay (e.g.,
within max-age) is fine w/me.

[4] TLS requirement level

TLS is only a "SHOULD" requirement for HOBA, not a "MUST" requirement -
first paragraph in Section 8.1 (Privacy Considerations).

If TLS is not a "MUST" requirement, at least a discussion of man-in-the-
middle (MITM) attacks seems to be in order.  There's no need for an>
extensive
discussion of all of the security properties of TLS, but MITM attacks are
definitely worth a mention, and that could be complemented by a pointer to
suitable HTTP/TLS security considerations text elsewhere.

I think that's covered where we note the potential for replay, which
is what a MitM would/could do in this case. That is noted in both
section 3 and in 6.1 and in section 8. I think we have it covered to
be honest.

Ok, in looking further at the text on TLS, I suggest clarifying the last
sentence in this text in section 1:

   HOBA session management is identical to username/password session
   management, with a server-side session management tool or script
   inserting a session cookie [RFC6265] into the output to the browser.
   HOBA still requires TLS to prevent session cookie hijacking.

This is not a requirement on HOBA interactions - it's on the overall
HTTP session.  Suggestion:

OLD
   HOBA still requires TLS to prevent session cookie hijacking.
NEW
   Use of TLS for the HTTP session is still necessary to prevent
   session cookie hijacking.

As above:-)

[5] Section 5.3 - unrecognized key

Paragraphs 4 and 5 in this section don't seem to belong here, and appear to
be written in a somewhat loose fashion, particularly around user
verification.
A server that does what is suggested here could have significant security
weaknesses.

Which specific weaknesses do you mean?

In this text:

   The server >>can<< then use some out-of-band method (such as a
   confirmation email round trip, SMS, or an UA that is already
   enrolled) to verify that the "new" user is the same as the already-
   enrolled one.

and this text

   Completion of the joining process >>might<< require confirmation by
   email, SMS, Captcha, and so on.

the use of "can" and "might" appears to make user verification optional,
which is a poor recommendation for obvious reasons.

The simplest fix would be to change both of those words to "ought to"
or "should" (lower case).

Ok, at this point I think we're more into tweaking for the sake of it
so I've not made that change.

[A] ABNF encoding of alg

In section 2, I see:

   alg = 1*2DIGIT

   o  alg: specifies the signature algorithm being used encoded as an
      ASCII character as defined in Section 9.3.

Section 9.3 specifies a single digit.  How does that become 1*2DIGIT ?

Huh? The current algs only use one digit, but the abnf allows for
more. Nothing odd there that I can see.

What if someone uses "01" instead of "1" ?  Adding the following variant
of your response (which is better than my initial proposal) would close off
this corner case:

      Algorithms defined in this document use only one digit; the ABNF
      allows for two digits for future expansion.

But that's already clear. No change made for now.

[B] Section 5.3 - CPK vs. kid

IIUC, the HOBA client sends:

   HOBA-RES = kid "." challenge "." nonce "." sig

If so, I don't understand how the server extracts a CPK from that.

Via the kid yes.

[... snip ...]

I'm not seeing an actionable issue that needs a change.

The client sends a kid, but the server is supposed to recognize the CPK.
The description of the server's actions needs to start from the kid, as
kid->CPK lookup may fail.  Here's a possible text change:

OLD
   In the authentication phase, the server extracts the CPK from the
   signing phase and decides if it recognizes the CPK.  If the server
   recognizes the CPK, the server may finish the client authentication
   process.
NEW
   In the authentication phase, the server uses the kid to locate its
   copy of the client's CPK.  If the server finds the CPK and recognizes
   that CPK as appropriate for use, the server may finish the client
   authentication process.

That results in a couple of knock-on changes to generalize "recognize"
to "locate or recognize" - here's the first one:

OLD
   During the authentication phase, if the server does not recognize the
   CPK,
NEW
   During the authentication phase, if the server cannot locate or does
   not recognize the CPK,

The other one is similar.

[C] RSA signature algorithm

[... nit snipped ...]

The minor issue is
whether that is the signature algorithm that's wanted, on which I'll defer
to the crypto experts on that (e.g., I seem to recall a negative saag
comment on PKCS 1.5 mechanisms in the past couple of months).

Yes, it's fine for security and is correct for interop/deployment
reasons. PKCSv1.5 encryption is what's less desirable if not done
well and attempting to mandate PSS here would be a bad plan.

Ok, that's what I wanted to see checked.  No problem.

[D] Javascript local storage.

Again, one word is bothering me - here's a suggested change to the abstract:

   HOBA is an
   alternative to HTTP authentication schemes that require passwords and
   therefore avoids all problems related to passwords, such as leakage
   of server-side password databases.

Remove "all" - or change it to "many" or "common".

I'm gonna stick with all - an implementation of HOBA can be
vulnerable to many things, and one likely but temporary
style of implementation (non-WebCrypto in browsers) will be
vulnerable (as we note) but the protocol itself does avoid
all password problems.

I'll post -08 in a few minutes with those changes.

Cheers,
S.

Thanks,
--David