Re: IETF areas re-organisation steps

2014-12-26 19:47:35
Eliot,

I'd like to understand how you expect the various job descriptions to change.
In particular, with regard to NAPP (or  it ends up being called), do you
intend to simply combine the three? I ask because if a goal is to encourage
people to be ADs, if the description reads as though nobody would be
qualified to do All of That, then nobody will apply.  Knowing this I'm sure
you already have lots of thoughts on how to guide NOMCOM. Could you share?

Good question.

The descriptions have to change. In the case of NAPP, that’s a description that
we need by summer 2015.

As you point out, it would be a bad idea to require people that can do
everything. I think the answer is that among the set of ADs covering the area,
they should be able to cover the technical topics in that area. Preferably with
some overlap. This isn’t all that different from what has happened in the past
with big areas such as INT; no AD usually has the breadth to cover everything
alone, but together they can do a reasonable job. Putting the puzzle together
means some more work for the nomcom, however.

Jari