Re: NF* (Re: PKCS#11 URI slot attributes & last call)

2015-01-03 22:56:04
On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 07:58:52PM -0800, Jan Pechanec wrote:
      we could recommend the normalize-before-matching approach.
Even for objects (keys), the application could use only non-UTF-8
value attributes in the PKCS#11 search template.  Then, go through all
returning objects and for UTF-8 value attributes, do NFC normalization
first before matching them.

      however, I think that "SHOULD" would be too strong.  I think
it could be mentioned side by side to the warning text based on what
John noted about situations with a need to use non-ASCII characters.

"RECOMMEND" and "SHOULD" mean the same thing.  Even if you try to use
"recommend" outside RFC2119 usage, it still kinda means "SHOULD", but
"should", "ought to" -- these can be taken to mean "not quite SHOULD".

Nico