Re: Gen-ART LC Review of draft-ietf-opsec-dhcpv6-shield-04

2015-01-19 02:00:31
Hi, Ben,

It looks like I never responded to this one. -- My apologies for that.
Please find my comments in-line...

On 12/11/2014 06:56 PM, Ben Campbell wrote:
Minor issues:

-- abstract, last sentence:

I didn't find this assertion in the body itself. It would be nice
to see support for it (perhaps with citations).

I guess one could provide references to some vendor's manuals? Is
that what you have in mind? (although I'd prefer not to do so).

The citations part was more of a nice to have. But it would be worth
putting some words around that in the body, even if there's nothing
to reference.

ANy suggestions on this one?

-- section 4:

Am I correct in understanding that this is opt in only? You
would disallow a rule of the form of "allow on any port except
[list]"?

Not sure what you mean.

The idea is that if you want to enable dhcpv6 shield, you need to
specify on which port(s) the dhcpv6 server(s) is/are connected.

Would a rule of the form "Allow DHCPv6 on all ports except port X" be
allowed?

Yes. That's another way of saying: "Enable DHCPv6-Shield. Allow DHCPv6
on ports 1-7" -- when a device has ports 1-8.  i.e., DHCPv6-Shield is,
when enabled, a "default deny" -- and you need to specify on which
port(s) DHCPv6 should be allowed.

-- section 1, 3rd paragraph:

It would be helpful to define what a "DHCP-Shield device" is,
prior to talking about deploying and configuring them.

How about adding (in Section 1) the following text:

This document specifies DHCPv6 Shield: a set of filtering rules
meant to mitigate attacks that employ DHCPv6-server packets.
Throughout this document we refer to a device implementing the
DHCPv6 Shield filtering rules as the "DHCPv6 Shield device"

?

Yes, thanks.

FWIW, we ended up adding all these definitions to the "Terminology" section.

-- section 3, paragraph ending with  with "... used as follows
[RFC7112]:"

I'm a bit confused by the citation. Are these defined "as
follows", or in 7112?

You did not respond to this one. I note that my next few comments
might no longer apply if the 7112 reference is clarified. Is the
point to say that 7112 contains the following definitions, which are
repeated here for the sake of convenience?

Yes, that's the point. And we've updated the text to say "..used as
defined in [RFC7112]".

Also, while this section talks about some aspects of header
chains, it never actually defines the term.

Which one?

The term "header chain".  That is, something of the form of "The IPv6
header chain is a linked-list of IPv6 headers. It contains ...".

We never use "header chain" alone, but rather "IPv6 header chain".

-- section 3, "Upper-Layer Header"

Again, this section talks about the term without defining it.

-- section 5, list entry "1": "... the IPv6 entire header chain
..."

Not sure what you mean: Section 3 is all about defining the terms.
Am I missing something?

Again, the definition doesn't actually define the term. For example,
"An upper-layer header is a header belonging to an upper-layer
protocol"

mm.. but that wouldn't be correct. The current definition seems to be
more correct than that. Not sure what is missing...

Thanks!

Best regards,
--
Fernando Gont