Re: Remote participation fees - do we need projectors?

2015-02-15 17:44:40
On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 6:44 AM, Christer Holmberg <
christer(_dot_)holmberg(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com> wrote:

Hi,

Do we really need projectors during the WG sessions?

Most participants have laptops/tablets where they could watch the slides.

...and the presenter should keep his/her eyes on the audience, not the
slides :)

Not sure how big (if any) impact removing the projectors would have on the
participation fee, but at least it would give a little more flexibility
when it comes to finding suitable meeting rooms, as a projector is not
required.

As with most other hotel charges, they are merely ways to conceal the cost,
not ways to bring it down.

If technology worked reliably, I would have no trouble reading slides on my
laptop. But lets face it, technology is rubbish. It took me a whole meeting
session just getting Jabber working in Honolulu because the client I had
been using had decided on an obnoxious upgrade policy which required me to
replace it.

Since Open Office can't read Powerpoint slides whatever they claim, getting
slides working on a machine is hardly a seamless user experience as you
have to battle through the n x m compatibility matrix.

We have enough problems getting presenter's slides working.

Having done the usability thing back in the day, it is instructive to ask a
UNIX/Windows/Mac sysadmin how easy they find a task they do every 3-4
months or so  and then videotape them performing said task and then play
the video back to them.