Re: Confidentiality (was - Re: Nomcom feedback to appointees not up for renewal)

2015-04-01 13:56:09
On 02/04/2015 03:05, Livingood, Jason wrote:
3 – Annually, send out a longer 360-review kind of form to WG chairs/ADs/etc.
that is a bit more in-depth.

When I first worked for IBM, they still operated a 360 review, where
everybody got to see anonymized comments from a few colleagues, the
boss, and underlings. I found it very helpful. Also, when writing
comments on others, you *know* that they will be passed on, so there
is a strong incentive to be polite and objective and to write in a style
that is not easily identifiable.

I never understood why IBM dropped the scheme, but I always suspected
that some of the senior bosses didn't appreciate knowing what underlings
really thought. That is of course the best reason for doing such reviews.

We're smart enough to make a 360 review process almost completely
automated and genuinely anonymous.

   Brian