Re: Thoughts from IETF-92

2015-04-06 06:14:14
On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 7:06 PM, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
wrote:

In concrete terms, what does this mean?  Within the bounds of our
skillsets and time and deliverables, what should the IETF and
participants /do/ to accommodate policy folk?

This was my first IETF meeting (*pls go easy on me :-) *) and I had a
chance to discuss with one of the chairs about the policy folks.  I see two
ways to address this:

a) ISOC/IETF just have some money and want to spread it around
b) ISOC/IETF has some specific problem to solve and wants to ensure that
this policy program is actually effective

Going with mentality (a), anything ISOC/IETF does to bring any one that is
policy is going to be ok even if of dubious value.
Going with b) is more difficult, will take a lot of work/investment on the
part of ISOC/IETF and yield the best results. Here's how this policy
program **might** be fully developed (simply a variation of PDCA):

The Goal
***********
Get governments to help drive IPv6 deployment in their respective countries

How will we know we've achieved the goal?

- A clear national IPv6 action plan with a scoreboard that is updated
annually
- Government websites are reachable over IPv6

Lead measures that may be indicative of success in the above measures are

- Number of policy fellows that go back and engage their constituents on
IPv6 (public presentations, action plan proposals, support for local
networking fora to train on IPv6 etc

- Engagement in a relevant working group (this would be mostly asking
questions ?

The Plan
***********

- pre-select policy guys at the appropriate level of authority (the more
powerful the individual (formal or expert power) the more effective s/he is
going to be as a fellow

- provide specific training on how a government would go about encouraging
IPv6 at a national level

- create and work on case studies of how other gov'ts did it

- give them templates for various aspects of the endeavour (making the
business case to a minister of ICT for example, stakeholder analysis for
deployment teams, examples of strategies that work/don't work

- have some kind of helpline where these people can ask for help with their
endevours

- invite policy fellows showing some success to come share with others

If the measures aren't moving in the right direction, then the plan needs
to change

--

Mukom Akong T.

http://about.me/perfexcellence |  twitter: @perfexcellent
“When you work, you are the FLUTE through whose lungs the whispering of the
hours turns to MUSIC" - Kahlil Gibran