Re: [OPSAWG] Review and contribution requested: draft-boesch-idxp-idpef-01 (Bjoern-C. Boesch)

2015-05-02 07:33:43
Hi Randy,

thanks for your feedback and the start of a discussion about IDPEF and its management features / options.

IDXP provide already an interface for configuration exchange. Therefore IDPEF was developed close to IDMEF and IDXP. An important argument was that only one transport protocol is need for configuration and signalling. That reduces the probability of vulnerabilities in the implementation (one implementation instead of two).

The key point for IDPEF is that the parametrization of the Analyzer will be harmonized and the Manager become independent. Based on this you are able to combine different (vendor and analyzing technique) IDS Analyzers under one independent central Manager. With YANG and netconf the configuration will be still vendor-specific and vendor-specific adjustments are still needed on site of the central Manager. That is why I preferred a specialized format.

Maybe there are some other good points which plead for YANG as IDS configuration format that we should put focus on.

Kind regards

Bjoern-C.