Re: query about ID/RFC statistics

2015-05-27 03:31:38

Den 27. mai 2015 00:44, skrev Jari Arkko:

aren't these things listed in the XML and this a 'quick' xml
xoath parse away from win?

Yes, they are in some cases… the difficulty with getauthors has
been the special cases. The non-XML… the non-numbered sections… the
oddly intended stuff… the misspelled stuff… people’s names in
different formats… the people who misspell their names :-) or at
least their co-authors names :-)

You could of course say that we should ignore all that broken
stuff. I wanted to have a smaller error rate, hence included many
special cases. Almost all of this is data-driven, so once you add a
pattern line the tool will recognise it in the future.

Anyway, I do have a set of tools that i really have no time to
maintain.

This seems to be a common pattern among many of us :-)

Would it be a Good Idea to put them up on github under a reasonable
license?
I've found that projects hosted on github seem to have a vastly lower
barrier to entry for people who want to help than private projects, no
matter how much they are made publicly available through other means.

One group of tools is getauthors/authorstats, the one that
collects document statistics. It is operational, but if taken over
by anyone else it needs a rewrite. Despite being somewhat data
driven, the rest of the code is a hack upon a hack.

Another group of tools is the IESG statistics tools, which would be
very interesting, but are no longer operational due to interface
changes to how the data tracker presents itself. It too would need
a lot of work.

If anyone is interested in putting time on these tools, let us
know! For instance, we could start with a Code Sprint project in
Prague. The IETF also runs official tools projects that are funded
with IETF funds. So far I have not considered these tools so
business critical that we’d need to have them done commercially.
And some of them have been up and running through community
effort, i.e., me, Lars, and a few people who have sent me edits.
Let me know if these are so critical that they’d need a more
official IETF attention.

Jari