Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt> (The .onion Special-Use Domain Name) to Proposed Standard

2015-07-15 12:10:50
On 15 Jul 2015, at 18:56, Ted Hardie wrote:

I know some people say that opens the door for someone to request strings in
IETF and create a denial of service attack against the "approval process"
ICANN runs, but, I trust IETF to do the right thing.

​I think this is the wrong ​analysis of the risk.  If someone seeing the
acceptance for .local and .onion decides they want some other resolution
mechanism and creates .npr for their novel process for resolution, it will
work for those clients updated with local knowledge.  When the journalistic
outfit "NPR" comes calling at ICANN and gets a name in the root, that
community may not even know its going on.  But afterwards,
we will have local knowledge conflict with the root with ordering of
resolution steps deciding what happens.  That's fragile for everyone, not
least the people now running the gTLD .npr

To some degree we will always have "first come first serve".

This is why IETF for the .npr that is not DNS related should be registered by
IETF so that ICANN do know that adding that as a TLD would be a bad idea.

We saw this with squatting in the url scheme space (surely you remember the
fun with mms?).  Either the process of registering local partitions of the
global namespace has to be so easy that they get registered very early, or we
have to avoid this style and establish other methods of signalling alternate
resolution in application slots.

Correct.

And this is why I think a lower barrier of entry in the special names registry
(and because of that blocking those names in the global DNS) is better than a
higher barrier of entry.

But I absolutely understand others have a different view.

   Patrik