Re: Post-hoc working group chartering

2015-07-22 02:41:54
I'm not sure I entirely disagree with what Dave's written below, but I do
have some caveats.

Firstly, the prerequisites for working group formation under those rules
are going to be based on - essentially - forming a stealth working group,
which somewhat implies gathering people who know how this works, and I'm
not entirely sure that an external group would figure this out. Our
processes are fairly impenetrable to outsiders; I have a number of examples
of work that has "gone elsewhere" in part because of this. I don't think
making this worse has any positive effect.

Secondly, just as I-D is the new Proposed, I worry we're in danger of
"left-shifting" our process again, to paraphrase Scott Bradner. I make no
claim to know what the outcome of this particular case might be, but in the
case of the standards track process, the eventual outcome was ill-fitting
names and really not much else, and certainly hasn't gained us anything. I
have a horrible feeling we'd end up with the same discussions around
creating a mailing list as we do with creating a working group, or
something.

Thirdly, it's not actually clear to me that there is a problem with taking
on work - and even creating working groups - and then later dropping it if
the supposed interest doesn't materialize. I admit it must be quite
frustrating for the I-D authors and WG chairs in these cases, but I wonder
how much of that is in part because it's seen as a failure. As a radical
suggestion, perhaps if we lowered the bar for working group creation, but
felt more comfortable closing them, we might make a net gain.

This all said, the crux of Dave's suggestion here is that working groups
should essentially form somewhat organically, rather than artificially
created with much fanfare. I think there is a strong argument that working
groups should be able to form almost spontaneously from pre-existing
discussions on existing IETF mailing lists, with minimal friction, and that
pre-existing groups should be able to bring their work under the IETF
umbrella with similarly minimal roadblocks. I don't think this is in
opposition to Dave's proposal, but I admit to approaching this from a
different angle.

Most importantly, I think it would be fascinating to look at groups that
haven't brought their work to the IETF, and find out why, and decide
whether we wanted them to.