Re: Order of CNAME and A in Authoritative Reply.

2015-08-11 10:51:02
On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 04:41:04PM +0100, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

Go the programming language? I'm confused as to how that's a client of
an authoritative server, either.

Go implements its own resolver rather than use the local libc's, e.g.
glibc's.  All of them are stub resolvers, yes, but if asked to look up
foo.bar.local and /etc/resolv.conf has only the authoritative bar.local
server in it then they get an authoritative response without a
third-party recursive resolver being involved.

[ Perhaps ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org is the wrong list for this discussion. ]

Best practice is to not conflate authoritative and recursive DNS
servers.  If you put an authoritative rather than a recursive
resolver in /etc/resolv.conf, that's a misconfiguration.

I have a recursive resolver on 127.0.0.1:53 and an authoritative
nameserver on <public-ip>:53.  The /etc/resolv.conf file lists only
the recursive server on the loopback address.  The authoritative
server refuses recursive queries.

--
        Viktor.