Re: [DNSOP] Gen-ART and OPS-Dir review of draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-terminology-03

2015-08-11 11:04:02
Hi,

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 01:28:11PM +0000, Black, David wrote:
[B] 2. Names - p.4

Label:  The identifier of an individual node in the sequence of nodes
   that comprise a fully-qualified domain name.

In other words, I would have expected the fully-qualified domain name
to be a sequence of labels, each of which is an identifier that identifies
a node, making a fully qualified domain name a "sequence of identifiers",
not a "sequence of nodes".  Of course the "sequence of identifiers" in
an FQDN identifies a "sequence of nodes".

Hmm.  What if this changed to "The identifier of an individual node in
the sequence of nodes identifier by a fully-qualified domain name"?  I
think that would get rid of the quibble you have and still emphasise
that it's one node in a sequence.

The point is that the label is an identifier of a node, not the node
itself.  The discussion of this in RFC 1034 is quite long and never
actually offers the definition as such.  So we want to note that the
label identifies one node in the sequence of nodes.

Does that work?

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com