Re: Last Call: Recognising RFC1984 as a BCP

2015-08-13 11:31:31
On 13/08/2015 17:18, Dave Crocker wrote:
On 8/13/2015 9:14 AM, Stewart Bryant wrote:
Many of the interesting cases can be addressed by some mixture of
extreme key fragmentation with escrow fragmented across a set
of organizations that are both unable and unlikely to collude, but
would co-operate with an appropriate third party if presented with
the appropriate justification.

That's theory that could reasonably sound appealing.  Are there
real-world examples of a model like this showing the desired properties
that balance safety and utility?

We all generate a constant stream of logical wonderful theories.  The
pragmatics kill most of them.

This being an 'engineering' group rather than a 'research' group, we are
supposed to make agreements based on a solid knowledge of those pragmatics.

d/

The pragmatics of law enforcement is that you provide reasonable
protection for the rights of the law abiding whilst catching sufficient
of the unlawful that all but the most extreme in terms of
criminal sophistication, or lawlessness are discouraged.

In other words we need to apply engineering pragmatics that matches
the pragmatics of law enforcement.

- Stewart