Re: [dane] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey-05.txt> (Using DANE to Associate OpenPGP public keys with email addresses) to Proposed Standard

2015-09-04 10:28:15
On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 10:33:39PM +0200, Petr Spacek wrote:

as far as I can tell people favor various LHS-hashing variants for privacy
reasons. Assuming that this observation is correct, I consider current hashing
scheme totally insufficient - it does not protect anyone's privacy against
even against moderately-funded attackers. We should do better (not only to
please Snowden :-)

For the record, similar observations from the WG discussion.

    https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dane/current/msg08046.html
    https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dane/current/msg08017.html
    https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dane/current/msg08065.html

[ I agree that hashing is not a substantial privacy enhancement.
  The original reason hashing was proposed was not privacy-related. ]

--
        Viktor.