Re: [Detnet] WG Review: Deterministic Networking (detnet)

2015-09-18 14:14:51
I like this change.

Any objections?

Thank you!
Lou
On 9/18/2015 2:04 PM, Andrew G. Malis wrote:
Lou,

I would suggest the following:

OLD

Candidate Layer 3 data plane
technologies that may be used, without modification, include: IP and
MPLS.

NEW

Candidate IETF data plane
technologies that may be used, without modification, include IP,
MPLS, and Layer 2 encapsulations that run over IP and/or MPLS,
including but not limited to pseudowires and GRE.

(I changed "Layer 3" to "IETF" so that we don't get into the debate
over whether MPLS is layer 3 or not).

Cheers,
Andy

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Lou Berger <lberger(_at_)labn(_dot_)net
<mailto:lberger(_at_)labn(_dot_)net>> wrote:

    Andy,

    On 9/18/2015 12:52 PM, Andrew G. Malis wrote:
    > Adrian and Lou,
    >
    > When I first read the draft charter, my immediate reaction was that
    > the scope of work would be deterministic IP and MPLS flows layered
    > over a deterministic Ethernet infrastructure as defined by IEEE.
    This
    > would probably be pretty straightforward work.
    >
    > However, your conversation got me to read the charter more closely,
    > and while the word "pseudowire" isn't used, the inclusion of the
    PALS
    > WG in the charter implies to me that the scope of work could include
    > the transport of deterministic Ethernet flows (as defined by IEEE)
    > within pseudowires carried by arbitrary IP and/or MPLS
    infrastructures.

    PWs has been mentioned as an option, but section of (existing)
    encapsulation to be used is the subject of the WG.  So PALS is
    included
    really to cover this possibility.

    > All of a sudden, the work is much less straightforward. If this is
    > indeed part of the scope of work, it should be explicit in the
    charter
    > (or explicitly excluded if not).

    Do you have any suggested changes?  (It would help to understand your
    concern.)

    Thanks,
    Lou

    > Cheers,
    > Andy
    >

    > On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 12:26 PM, Adrian Farrel
    <adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk
<mailto:adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>