Re: Code point reservation BCP

2015-09-21 06:56:18
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeffrey Haas" <jhaas(_at_)pfrc(_dot_)org>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2015 3:20 PM
Subject: Code point reservation BCP

After a little discussion and initial review on the wgchairs list, I'd
like
to draw the broader IETF community's attention to the draft below.
It's my
belief that the practice of reserving bottom and top code points is
fairly
common in the IETF (and perhaps it has analogs in other SDOs?).
However, I
don't think the practice has been written down anywhere for the
benefit of
those who may be new to our organization.

Yup; a part of 'How to Write Code 101' but nonetheless a debate that I
have lost on a number of occasions over the years, so I hope that this
makes it through the process.

I would prefer 'first' to 'zeroth' - I find the latter somewhat
obscure - and I would prefer the title to be more specific, slotting in
the word 'numeric' after IETF (or should that be IANA?) since textual
registries can be ordered and have a first and last but the
considerations here would not apply.

Tom Petch

Note that the goal of this document is to discuss specifically certain
reserved values.  It does not have the intention of discussing
allocation
strategies for various ranges and their types.  (See
draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-11 and RFC 3692 as examples of such
documents.)  As such, I don't believe this document should have much a
creeping scope of things to cover.

The goal would be to submit this as a BCP document sometime this year,
potentially as an AD-sponsored draft.

I welcome your comments.

-- Jeff

----- Forwarded message from internet-drafts(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org -----