Re: [apps-discuss] Registration of vnc: URI scheme - request for comments

2015-12-01 14:50:22
Graham Klyne wrote:
But the registration document is being submitted though the RFC ISE
stream, which does not receive the same level of IETF review as IETF
stream publication, and in the past registrations from ISE documents
have been restricted to "provisional" status.  I understand publication
via ISE stream was at the suggestion of an IETF application area
director (I don't know who).

(Beyond the permanent /vnc/ scheme registration itself, which I
certainly support, but don't have a really strong opinion on:)

I think this is symptomatic of a more widespread problem we are having:
only the extremes of ISE stream and IETF consensus seem to be available
to documents that support some forms of registration.

It is the nature of some registrations that they only address a
comparatively narrow set of users, so running the whole IETF consensus
machine is not always appropriate.  Still, where some review was
achieved, it would be useful to have a weaker form of "this was
reviewed" status.

I don't have a specific proposal just yet.  For now, I wanted to
highlight this isn't an isolated instance.

Grüße, Carsten