Re: UTA: Server certificate management (Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-uta-email-tls-certs-05.txt>)

2015-12-03 17:03:38

On Dec 3, 2015, at 3:15 PM, John R Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:

I think the problem that we're trying to address here is setting up a MUA and
wanting to ensure that it's talking to the correct SUBMIT, POP, and IMAP
servers.  You're right that there's all sorts of private networks with
mysterious naming, but every smartphone has an MUA that usually does SUBMIT
and IMAP, so it would be nice if the phone's MUA could reliably configure
itself with minimal help from the user.

See: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-daboo-aggregated-service-discovery-03

for an attempt that was made a couple of years ago.  We had a BoF that didn't
go particularly well, but if there was interest, I'm pretty sure we could do
another one and overcome the objections.

Note that Cyrus's document allows service-specific certificate pinning by
bootstrapping from https://*/.well-known, an approach that was resurrected in
draft-ietf-xmpp-posh.

--
Joe Hildebrand