Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-netmod-opstate-reqs-04.txt> (Terminology and Requirements for Enhanced Handling of Operational State) to Informational RFC

2016-02-03 03:33:38
This I-D worries me.  I see it as very important, but can it be
understood by those who have not read the thousands of e-mails about it
(and its precursors) on the netmod WG list?  I see it as recasting
network management for the next 10 years, in the way that RFC3535 (IAB
Workshop) has for the past 10, a workshop that led to NETCONF, RESTCONF,
YANG and so on.  Yet there are no references back to this work, no
definitions imported from this work, in what
I see as a major change to this work and the RFC that describe it; the
only normative reference is RFC2119!

That IAB workshop stressed configuration at the expense of state, and
gave the former a very narrow role, and this has driven all the work
since.  This I-D makes no reference to those terms, uses configuration
in a different sense and even refers to 'configuration state' which,
hithertoo, would have been the oxymoron to end all oxymorons.  As I say,
read all the posts on the netmod list and you may know what it means,
but I worry.

My own take on this topic is that because of the stress on
configuration, as narrowly defined, YANG and NETCONF have had problems
dealing with some common scenarios where state and configuration
intertwine, such as hot-plugging an interface card, or modelling a
routing table with inputs from various sources.  I see these as solved
problems, albeit not very elegantly, in the current YANG models and see
these new requirements, at least in part, as a request to change YANG or
NETCONF or both to provide a more elegant solution to those problems so
perhaps I am a bit cynical about the benefits that a solution to these
requirements will bring - the problem, at least in part is solved, let's
move on to another one.

Tom Petch