Re: Is Fragmentation at IP layer even needed ?

2016-02-08 15:23:56

On 2/8/2016 12:44 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
Seems to me that we might be misreading the original proposal. There
are two ways to read it:

1) In future all Internet routing gear MUST NOT fragment IP packets.

IPv6 is that future, FWIW.

2) Take fragmentation out of the endpoint stack.

It seems to me that these are very different proposals. I fully
endorse the first if we add the caveat 'except to support legacy, non
jumbo frame capable links'.

Where legacy == IPv4, yes. But even then, IPv4 fragmentation except at
the endpoints is already somewhat deprecated based on IP ID values (see
RFC 6864).

Joe