Re: Is Fragmentation at IP layer even needed ?

2016-02-11 13:05:37

On 2/11/2016 10:57 AM, Templin, Fred L wrote:
The beauty of considering a tunnel a link is that the same rules apply,
as they always should have. Just as a link that can't transit an IP
packet requires frag/reassembly within the link (e.g., ATM does this),
so should a tunnel.

This is coming close to repeating a discussion we had in intarea back in the
August 2015 timeframe, where I thought we had reached a conclusion.

We haven't talked about it yet, but yes - this is closely related to the
INTAREA discussion on this issue and the current WG document on tunnels.

Joe