Re: new ietf mail archive? permanent urls?

2016-03-21 07:48:11

On 2016-03-21 12:48, lloyd(_dot_)wood(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk wrote:
Hi Henrik,

I'd be good with list/YYYY/MM/DD/identifier-hash (per Wordpress
and in line with ISO8601 - none of that US MM/DD/YY funny stuff)
added into the urls, allowing mails to be retrieved either with
or without the date. (I presume the list id is optional as well
but
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/GKYUQNOssvg-JIsPfj90_YI5r9w
doesn't work as I might expect.

No, the list is necessary.  That decision was based on the same message
sometimes going to multiple lists, and being archived as different
items for the different lists.  Yes, it would probably be possible to
pull out the right message without the list, but that becomes a GUI
headache when you find multiple matching items on different lists.

if
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/list/YYYY/MM/DD/

can return all emails to that list on that date, so much the better:

That sounds nifty, yes.

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/list/YYYY/MM
gives the entire month, etc.

Ack.

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/GKYUQNOssvg-JIsPfj90_YI5r9w
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/GKYUQNOssvg-JIsPfj90_YI5r9w
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/2016/03/20/GKYUQNOssvg-JIsPfj90_YI5r9w

should return the same thing.

Well, not the first one, as indicated above.  That would mean guessing
which one to present, for messages going to multiple lists, and explicit
is better than implicit.  But I like the date-in-url enhancements.

Regards,

        Henrik

thanks
Lloyd Wood lloyd(_dot_)wood(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk
http://about.me/lloydwood