Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART LC review of draft-ietf-v6ops-host-addr-availability-05

2016-05-04 16:07:32
I am going through the Gen-ART reviews related to documents on tomorrow’s IESG
telechat agenda.

For this document, thanks a lot for your review, Roni.

Going to the comment and response from Lorenzo:

The intent here is to say that while the DHCPv6 PD RFC uses the words
"requesting router" to denote the DHCP client, is nothing in DHCPv6 PD itself
that requires the PD client to be a router (where, in IPv6, the term "router"
is defined in RFC2460).

So - even though the DHCPv6 PD RFC uses the term "requesting router", a host
can use DHCPv6 PD to receive a prefix as well. The host can pick some
addresses for that prefix for its own use, originate/terminate packets on
those addresses, and not forward packets addressed to any of the other
addresses in the prefix.

Lorenzo: Personally, I think it would perhaps useful to consider a slight
reformulation of the text, given that for things like tethering or virtual
machines, hosts essentially become routers.

Jari