RE: Last Call: <draft-ietf-grow-blackholing-00.txt> (BLACKHOLE BGP Community for Blackholing) to Proposed Standard

2016-06-21 22:30:07
John,

John Kristoff wrote :
For those that hadn't heard, I've recently left Team Cymru just a few weeks
ago

I hadn't, you will be missed. The community as a whole owes Team Cymru, thanks
for being part of it.

One potential peer had said they would need the max to be at least a few
hundred.  This person was from a DDoS mitigation company unsurprisingly.

At least indeed, unsurprisingly. I surprised myself with the CBBC, when I
started a few months ago, blackholing 20K prefixes seemed like it would break
something, then it went to 50 K and then 100K and then 135K and it still did
not break anything that the beta-testers commented on.

we opted to set the default to local_asn:0 where local_asn is the asn of the
announcing network and the 0 being the default value

Maybe we should transfer ASN 666 to blackhole use :P

but it at least prepared us for that potential flexibility.

Ack that.

Michel.