RE: [alto] IPR Disclosure Carlos Pignataro's Statement about IPR related to draft-ietf-alto-deployments belonging to Alcatel Lucent

2016-07-05 06:01:29
Carlos,

I can only comment on the second document listed in the third-party IPR
disclosure (http://www.google.com/patents/WO2016039798A1#npl-citations). I have
not been aware of the first one. Regarding the second patent application, I am
a bit confused by the intent of this IPR disclosure.

To add some context: There is a publication, and actually that text may be
easier to read:

  Michael Scharf, Gordon T. Wilfong, Lisa Zhang: "Sparsifying network
topologies for application guidance", Proceedings of IFIP/IEEE IM 2015, May
2015, pages 234-242 (http://dl.ifip.org/db/conf/im/im2015/135438.pdf)

That paper refers to draft-ietf-alto-deployments at various places to explain
the background of ALTO (reference [4]). So, it is not surprise that
draft-ietf-alto-deployments is cited in the patent application. I am not a
lawyer. However, if I had assumed that an action according to RFC 3979 is
required in this situation, an IPR disclosure would obviously have been
submitted.

In general, draft-ietf-alto-deployments is a long informational document that
surveys quite a number of use cases and technologies. Given that widely used
technologies such as CDN optimization and methods to obtain dynamic
connected-network topology via nodes are mentioned, it would be a huge surprise
to me there was no other IPR "somehow" related to some wording in
draft-ietf-alto-deployments, including e.g. IPR owned by Cisco Technology, Inc.
However, I am not sure what value IPR disclosures have for such an
informational document that does not give normative guidance.

Regarding the process, I am actually surprised that a patent search has been
performed as part of an OPS-DIR review, given e.g. what is written in RFC 5706
Appendix A. And I think the wording of RFC 3979 Section 6.1.3 is that a third
party IPR disclosure is "encouraged". So far I have assumed that this wording
does not imply "mandatory". Maybe the IESG can better explain that?

Michael