Re: bettering open source involvement

2016-08-02 02:38:12
On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 12:51 PM, Riccardo Bernardini
<framefritti(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Dave Taht
<dave(_dot_)taht(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

At both ietf and BBF this past week a frequent topic of conversation
was how to get more open source involvement in standards orgs...

... and one counter-thrust of mine has always been to get more
standards org members involved in open source, because that dialog has
to go both ways.

I thought I would point at several useful upcoming conferences in the
hope that perhaps there would be some members of ietf/isoc "out there"
planning some outreach in this regard.

https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/2016/ proposals closed I think

https://linux.conf.au/proposals/ CFP due aug 5

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/program-announced-embedded-linux-conference-130000509.html

http://netdevconf.org/1.2/

That is just the first 4 that came to mind, and they are respectively,
in america, australia, berlin, and japan. There are approximately 1
zillion other conferences in that world that an ietf/isoc/bbf/etc
member might find interesting, or have something of their org they'd
like to get in front of a wider audience.

Just my 2.0e-2...

I have direct experience with FOSDEM (https://fosdem.org/2017/) that is held
every year end of January/beginning of February in Bruxelles.
Personally, I like it, I find it very active (~5000 participants/year) and
refreshing (after a year buzz-wording).  Joking I say that it looks almost
like IETF's incubator... :-) (the density of geeks per square meter is
similar :-)

The ratio of ietf participants to users and devices on the internet is
at an all-time low. The problems are swamping us all.

A joint meeting of many of the organizations concerned with the future
of the internet could fit into that room.

The call for contribution has been opened just one week ago.

The best list I know of, is here:

http://lwn.net/Calendar/

--
Dave Täht