open source and the fcc on wifi routers

2016-08-03 05:18:10
yesterday was a good day.

see: https://twitter.com/FCC/status/760178543766626305

"Today's groundbreaking settlement: TP-Link must cooperate with
#OpenSource community & chipset makers to allow custom router
firmware. #tech"

There is a bit of discussion on: http://lwn.net/Articles/695994/ -
where I also posted links to the filing we'd made which reflects some
of the arguments I'd made on the "bettering open source involvement"
thread these past few days, with a metric ton of more links.

http://fqcodel.bufferbloat.net/~d/fcc_saner_software_practices.pdf

My thanks to all here that signed the above! (An especial thanks to
Jari Arkko for proofing it to make sure it did not come across as an
official ietf statement while still allowing us to reference much ietf
related work)

There were thousands of other comments on this matter of course, and I
wish I had more insight into the legal processes that led to this
agreement.

https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filing/60001306685

--
Dave Täht