Re: Last Call: <draft-levine-herkula-oneclick-04.txt> (Signalling one-click functionality for list email headers) to Proposed Standard (fwd)

2016-09-20 19:01:29

On Sep 20, 2016, at 7:54 PM, John R. Levine <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com> wrote:

There's a reason why browsers send "Origin:" headers, the MUA should
do the same when doing POST requests based on email headers.

MUAs have been doing GETs and, for messages with forms in them, POSTs
for over a decade.  What origin headers do they send now?  Why is this
different?

I take no issue with GETs.  The "Origin:" header is comparatively new,
and AFAIK should be present in all POSTs that are triggered via email
content.

Perhaps some of the MUAs that submit forms (sorry, I don't use any that
do) predate "Origin:".  It may also possible that in this context adding
"Origin" is not a useful cross-origin security measure.  I hope someone
more knowlegeable in HTTP security will chime in.

        Viktor.