Re: [lisp] Last Call: <draft-ietf-lisp-crypto-07.txt> (LISP Data-Plane Confidentiality) to Experimental RFC

2016-10-05 01:45:44
Hello,

While I have not gone through the contents of some of the recent versions of
this draft, the idea of a separate/dedicated confidential mechanism for each
encapsulation/overlay protocol(LISP here) worries me. This gives attackers the
opportunity to play with deficiencies of multiple such protocols/mechanisms as
against using a standard mechanism (IPSec) here that’s likely to be more robust
on that front. Ultimately, the underlay that LISP uses is based on IP (or
IPv6), so it would be preferable to use IPSec, which is a standard robust
proven mechanism for IP security. Having worked on integrating LISP and IPSec
around 4-5 years back, I do realise there could be some challenges but some of
them are clearly the results of ’security as an afterthought’ in the protocol
design.

Thanks,
Manish

On 21-Sep-2016, at 12:54 AM, The IESG <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>