Re: Tracking IANA protocol registry changes

2016-11-09 10:58:23
On 2016-11-09 17:30, ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

--On Tuesday, November 08, 2016 11:34 +0000 John Dickinson
<jad(_at_)sinodun(_dot_)com> wrote:

I would also like to see some visibility into the registries
and things like new TLD's (grouped by type and sorted by
date of entry).

Given that ICANN regularly updates a single file list of TLDs, this
isn't too hard to automate. (Not that this should be necessary, mind you.)

Of course this doesn't extend to registries. There are too many of them
and too much complexity as to their structure to make remote automation
viable.

I would like a query mechanism as well as a
subscription.

Take this up with ICANN -- not an IETF problem.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree here. The IETF, as a user/consumer of
the registry services IANA/ICANN provides, most definitely should have a say in
the capabilites of the interface to those services. (In fact I believe the IETF
was involved in if not the instigator of the push to make registry data
available in structured form.)

As such, I think it's perfectly legitimate to ask why the IETF isn't
collectively asking IANA to provide registry creation and update notifications.

And I have to say it's a bit embarassing that there's no way to get, say,
an RSS feed out of IANA. Something I get for free from most content
management software these days - in fact in many cases it's on by default.

+1

Of course it's possible that there's no consensus in the IETF that this
is an issue worth worrying about. But determining that requires discussion.

+1

Best regards, Julian