Re: IPmix.

2016-11-20 13:13:45
On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 05:44:20PM +0000,
 Khaled Omar <eng(_dot_)khaled(_dot_)omar(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com> wrote
 a message of 848 lines which said:

You can find the new modified IPmix text RFC version attached.

Strange UTF-16 encoding... Well, once decoded, I can say that:

* you are very detailed when it comes of describing the current issues
and much less so when you describe your solution;

* the way I understand it (but there is zero high-level description
of IPmix, I rely mostly on the schemas):

   * everything is done by new gateways in both networks. What makes
   you think that IPv4-only networks will deploy these gateways, when
   they don't even deploy IPv6 (which is typically simpler)?

   * what do you thing will happen to the new IPmix packets in the
   core? Existing routers won't know what to do with them

Also, your proposal is extremely sketchy and seems to ignore
completely the issues which were discovered with the transition to
IPv6. For instance, some applications transmit IP addresses as payload
(which breaks things like NAT64). How do you address these?

Really, the problems of migrating the Internet to a new L3 protocol
have been discussed by many people in many years. It is unlikely that
a 8-pages proposal will suddenly solve them.