Re: What is the right way to do Web Services discovery?

2016-11-22 19:38:24
​
On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Ted Lemon <mellon(_at_)fugue(_dot_)com> wrote:

I assume y'all have read RFC 6763...

​Yes, and it leaves more questions than answers.​

​The question of whether SRV records work as a http redirect or a dns
redirect is not considered. Nor is the interaction with TLS.

As a discovery technique _fred._http._tcp.example.com is an example of
pointless hierarchy. _fred.example.com does the same job better. The
decision to use HTTP protocol should be an outcome from the discovery
process, not an input. Same for TCP but that is water under the bridge.

​What it does nail down is that we should be using SRV and TXT.