Re: If categories of people are blocked by the U.S., should the IETF respond?

2017-02-01 09:28:41
Hi,

On 1 Feb 2017, at 13:44, Stephen Farrell
<stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie> wrote:

Hiya,

On 01/02/17 13:12, S Moonesamy wrote:

I scanned the list quickly and I only found two IESG members, the IETF
Chair and you, commenting on the issue.  Do the other IESG members have
an opinion about the topic?  I'll Cc them to find out.

I can help you there. The IESG and IAB (and I'm told the IAOC
and meetings ctte) have been actively discussing all of this.
I'm on one thread between IAB and IESG that has 84 messages in
total (though a good few of those are duplicates in my crappy
foldering scheme;-). And I think this topic may be on the agenda
for an upcoming IAB call and it is on the agenda for an IESG
call tomorrow. If something concrete results from those calls
it'll likely take at least a few days to be visible to the
community. Or maybe we'll need a bit longer. (That's another
reason why it was good that Jari/Andrew/Leslie posted that
blog, and yes they'd gotten some feedback from I* folks
before doing so.)

So while of course I* folks may respond to you if they've
stuff to say, I don't think there's much need for a slew of
"yeah we're aware of that" mails. But it is the case that quite
a few IESG/IAB folks have been actively engaged on this.

It seems the person who is being officially appointed as IAB’s liaison the the
IAOC will now not be able to attend the Chicago IETF:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/icann-trump-travel-ban-internet
<https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/icann-trump-travel-ban-internet>

(apologies if this has been mentioned already - so many emails on this
important topic - but I also saw this directly on Facebook from the volume of
shares on the post by people I trust, so I assume it’s genuine)

Tim