Re: [Jmap] WG Review: JSON Mail Access Protocol (jmap) - reducing configuration complexity

2017-02-07 08:21:27
On 2/7/2017 3:26 AM, Gren Elliot wrote:
Just to add my voice to the call for easier configuration where we don’t
force users to configure countless different things.  Trying to setup a
new device for use with open protocols is a complete nightmare - you end
up needing to configure 2 things for mail (IMAP and SMTP)
It would be nice to see config dialogs where user’s are asked for
minimal information (user name, perhaps server name) and then the device
discovers what is available there (Mail/Contacts/Calendar/…) and offers
the user a way to select them and

This issue is for user interface design, not underlying protocol design. Hence while it is extremely important in terms of usability, it is outside the scope of the IETF.

Having these functions embedded into a single protocol implicitly requires that these different functions share the same configuration data. While such sharing might be common practice, requiring the sharing limits operational choices.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking