Re: [Jmap] WG Review: JSON Mail Access Protocol (jmap) - reducing configuration complexity

2017-02-07 21:15:25
On Wed, 8 Feb 2017, at 01:58 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

So here's an entirely un-novel suggestion:  get the organizations who
are expecting to implement and deploy this to say so.

Sure! So, FastMail[1], Atmail[2], Linagora[3] are all developing
clients and server based around the current draft proposed to the IETF.
There is implementation work happening in both Cyrus[4] and Dovecot[5]
the two largest open-source IMAP servers. So far in this thread we've
had representatives from Apple and Zimbra both expressing positive
interest in JMAP.

The other side of this, which I mentioned earlier, is the many
proprietary protocols that are popping up, invariably HTTP/JSON based,
to replace the need for IMAP/SMTP (submission). Things like Nylas[6],
Context.io[7] and the Gmail API[8].

There are many benefits to the work we're proposing over IMAP/SMTP
submission; the current thread seems to have got a bit hung up on the
configuration bit, but while this is certainly an improvement it's just
one of many[9].

You may think IMAP/SMTP are great solutions to this problem space, but
it would appear industry disagrees.

Neil.

Links:

  1. https://www.fastmail.com/