Re: If Muslims are blocked by the U.S., should the IETF respond?

2017-02-09 04:26:26
Hi Jari,

see comments below...

Am 30.01.2017 um 20:39 schrieb Jari Arkko:
I wanted to update people a bit on effects and numbers.

Adam had given earlier in this thread a list of affected
people from past meetings. I run my own script on the
attendee data though, and (I think) took into account
who was actually on site. Out of the seven countries
on the list, we’ve not had a single attendee on site from
the beginning of the full records at IETF #80.

Obviously, that doesn’t make it right. Also,
the registration data is still based on the country or
region that people given when they register. And
you can only enter one value.

I’m aware of at least two people (Kaveh and Naeem)
who have dual citizenships for instance, and they are
sadly affected. There’s likely some more. If you are
affected and planning to attend future IETF meetings,
drop me an e-mail.

The collateral damage and impact of current US policy on
immigration is probably broader than just counting the people
who are obviously affected by any ban.
I originally planned to attend the meeting in Chicago
and normally I'm always looking forward to visit the US.
Though I'm not affected by my citizenship (yet), I'm
refraining from attending this time. Why?
I'm deeply concerned about the current practices during
immigration:
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/08/us-visitors-may-have-to-hand-over-social-media-passwords-dhs.html

"We want to get on their social media, with passwords: What do you do,
what do you say?" he [John Kelly] told the House Homeland Security
Committee. "If they don't want to cooperate then you don't come in."

So just flying several hours across the ocean and then get denied on
entry, because one of your friends probably posted some US politics
criticism that the immigration officer didn't like is a risk that I
don't need this time.
Moreover, if someone gets full control over a social media account
he/she can also *write* - this is ridiculous. [*]
I refuse this highly privacy invading practice.

More stuff like this:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/canadian-woman-turned-away-from-u-s-border-after-questions-about-religion-trump-1.3972019

https://www.aclu.org/blog/speak-freely/flying-home-abroad-border-agent-stopped-and-questioned-me-about-my-work-aclu

I really like to support the IETF by also physically attending the
meetings if possible, but under these circumstances I refrain from
doing so.

Regards,
 Roland

[*] it's clear that some "agencies" already have that access,
but this is even another dimension now...