Purpose of Port 0.

2017-02-20 02:31:17
Hi, all.

Recently on the POSIX mailing list, there's a discussion on the correct way to
bind to (or listen on) an ephemeral port. While I referenced the "UNIX Network
Programming", we're not quite satisfied because even though it's co-written by
someone involved in IETF, it's still JUST a textbook.

The canonical way to do this, according to some (from stackoverflow.com, and
other places), is to bind to port 0, which I assume had been reserved for this
purpose, but I haven't find anything to back this up yet.

On the POSIX list, they suggested that IETF should, (or should have already)
state(d) that port 0 be reserved for binding to ephemeral ports. So can we find
any reference for this? Or should we draft an RFC?

Thanks.