Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-20.txt> (Uniform Resource Names (URNs)) to Proposed Standard

2017-02-21 09:38:47
Adding to what John said, and also narrowing to a key point...

Narrowing:
This point was discussed in the working group, and I believe we do not
have consensus to use "updates" here with respect to 3986.

Adding:
That said, I think it's important for readers of 3986 who are
interested in URNs to come here.  The "updates" metadata would do
that.  Happily, we have even more targeted metadata that will do it
better.  3986 says this in Section 1.1.3:

   The term "Uniform Resource Name"
   (URN) has been used historically to refer to both URIs under the
   "urn" scheme [RFC2141], which are required to remain globally unique
   and persistent even when the resource ceases to exist or becomes
   unavailable, and to any other URI with the properties of a name.

Anyone interested in URN is already told that 2141 is the place to go
to read about those, and the metadata for 2141 will clearly say that
this document obsoletes that one.

So I think we're covered just fine here.

Barry, WG chair

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 10:12 AM, John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>