Re: Follow up on barriers to entry blog post

2017-02-23 02:38:44
Dear Sirs,

Sorry for this long email, but I need to give the respond details.

Thanks for your concerns and support, and I believe that IESG is doing
its best to make IETF the best organisation. However, I have already
send my concerns before years to you about this issue that most
meeting in US is not correct strategy for the best practice of IETF,
the respond I think was that most participants are from US, My
addition thoughts were that most companies participating/hosting are
from US. My reasons of my concerns is that IETF should not follow
others it should lead the participants. Also IETF should not care
about volume of participants (especially old participants), it should
care about varieties/diversity and future participation, the world is
changing very quickly (including US) and hopefully the IETF.

M past suggestions (in many IETF discussions) were to make the
most/best meetings in UK (ex. in London) or Europe, because US
participants get better offers to travel to UK than other offers to
countries in Europe. I also suggested in the past that we need more
work in General Area, but the IETF need to follow interests to such
WG, if no interest the IETF does nothing for its best future.

I studied in the UK and one of the best things I seen from
experts/managers in UK is that they look into unexpected situations to
find solutions. Did we do that so far? I am not sure, please advise
me.

IMO, Your concerns is not enough, you need to change your policy in
General Area, to include diversity and future strategies. May be I am
not familiar with our ADs/IESG decisions in IETF-strategy, but your
email did not mention your past actions/startegies to solve the
unexpected barriers. Old Strategies that include unexpected issues
will help to solve new/future barriers. The WG in General Area your
email referred to is about meeting venues but what about strategies
that this group need to follow. This WG will have majority of
participats from US therefore, it MAY not be fare to work for the IETF
interest, but may support for other companies interests.

Do you have a strategy for the future management issues? please tell
me your procedure as a strategy-plan already defined, or  as WG
charter (or even special group) with milestone. There is no doubt that
any successful organisation needs a strategy to increase opportunities
and decrease threats. My aim for this email is communicate with you
for the best of IETF. Thanks,

Best Regards,

AB

IETF Participant from Libya