Fwd: Re: [RTG-DIR] extremely rapid reviews/comments on "Effects of Encryption" (draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt)

2017-04-12 09:02:32

Alia asked the RTG directorate for there views on draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt. <%20https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt/>

For the record, here is my reply:

I only have time to scan read this before tomorrow, but I think Alexey Melnikov's comment summarises what I gleaned from the document so far: "This document is not perfect, but I found it to be generally useful".

This is a subject that we need a more open discussion about in the IETF. You would think from the vocal IETF position that the situation was a clear cut: monitoring is bad therefore encryption is good. What this document is trying to demonstrate is that there are pluses and minuses to encryption, just as there are are pluses and minuses to traffic monitoring. This document therefore attempts to moves us to a more balanced discussion of the problem, and as such it makes a valuable contribution to the design of the Internet.

If at the end of there is no IESG consensus to publish this in the IETF stream, I think it should be taken to the Independent stream the purpose of which is to provide a platform to articulate well thought out technical views that are contra to the mainstream position.

- Stewart